Saturday, November 06, 2004

Tell Me Something I Don't Know

The context is clear, and, for that matter, readers aren't blank slates. Does anybody see the need for "former presidents" once, let alone twice, in this passage?

A president's approval rating is considered a key indicator of re-election chances. Former presidents Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton were re-elected with approval ratings in the mid-50s, and former presidents George H.W. Bush and Jimmy Carter lost when their ratings fell to 40 percent or below.

3 comments:

Danto said...

Hi, could you tell me the word for:

a family is murdered

Will be grateful if you could gmail me the word:

anthonydcosta@gmail.com

cl said...

Hey, now! Only one president at a time!

Right you are.

Kitty Litter said...

Hello! I expect you've heard this before, but I will say it again: your site is a boon to people like me, who were thrust into the role of copy editor and who are currently besieged by writers and readers alike for many reasons. Thank you for your article on copy editing. At the risk of using a cliche, it's like a life preserver. Again, thanks. :)